Firstly – Congratulations for getting this far.
The most important part of an interview is the preparation before.
The steps to take are as follows;
- Research the company thoroughly by firstly looking at their website.
- Read the job specification and highlight all the important skills. Find out if there will be any tests.
- Think of questions about the job and the company – An interview is a two way process.
- Buy a book on interview questions. There are lots of standard questions which people don’t prepare for such as what are your strengths and weaknesses. Relate your answers to the job in hand.
- Conduct a mock interview with a friend. Even practicing a few times will improve your interview technique.
- Always wear a suit unless requested otherwise.Ensure you take with you:
1. The companies phone number
2.The companies address (Print off their map beforehand)
3.The companies contact name
4.The Job specification
6.The Recruitment Agencies phone number
- Arrive to the location half an hour before and to the interview 5-10 minutes before.
- Don’t be nervous. Remember the interviewer is human and may be just as nervous as you. The important thing to remember is to focus on relating your answers to the job in hand!
- Be yourself in the interview. Don’t lie. Companies prefer honesty and are sometimes not expecting you to have everything on their ‘wishlist’.
- Listen to the interviewer and think about your answers carefully.
- At the end of the interview ask where we go from here/what will the process be.